Pages - Menu

Monday 7 July 2014

Why am I in Debt?

As of today, I have 3 forms of debt around my neck - a loan and two credit cards. In total, these are just shy of £10,000. Yet the only debt I can reliably explain is the loan, which now has a balance of 'only' £5,096.37.

So how I find myself in almost double that? I have nothing to show for it.

In order to completely understand my financial situation and change my mind-set towards debt positively and permanently, I decided to undertake the depressing task of analysing where this debt had come from.

Debt #1 - The Loan

This is the easy one, in April 2013 I had a car accident which saw my car being written off. Luckily the accident was fully covered under my insurance, unluckily I had unpaid finance.

After receiving the insurance pay out and settling the outstanding finance, I found myself in a deficit of £500ish (it could've been a lot worse!). However, at that time I was commuting to work and my daily round journey clocked up 160 miles! I found myself without a car, and with no savings to buy a new one.

Sensibly, I decided against another round of car finance - I had learnt my lesson from the car I'd written off - the interest was ridiculous and I was paying £180 per month for 5 years which resulted in me paying over £10k for a car marked up at £6,500 when I purchased it in 2010.

Instead, I decided to take out a loan: my bank could offer me £8,000 with an APR of 6.4% over 36 months. Unsensibly, I opted for this amount and purchased my new car for £5,000; I used the remainder to clear the finance deficit and to pay for tax for the year. The rest, unfortunately was squandered and I have no recollection of what on!

Debt #2 - Credit Card (I have transferred some of this onto a 0% deal so now have 2 cards but am not paying interest on a chunk)

I've analysed my spends on this card for the past year (as far as online statements will allow). To be honest, the results are shocking:

Cash £1,250.00
Clothes £127.54
Debt £2,405.97
Dog £74.59
Fee £66.37
Gift £1,365.71
Groceries £279.14
Home £689.12
Insurance £384.27
Interest £621.44
Ipad £223.00
Misc £11.94
Petrol £321.67
Subscription £89.94
Takeaway £31.30
Travel £39.40
£7,981.40
 



 
 
I am absolutely gobsmacked at how much money I have wasted, and where my debt actually originates. I thought I would (ashamedly) explain these figures.
 
  • Cash - £1,250.00 - I am 100% against taking cash off a Credit Card, unfortunately personal circumstances found myself and my sister on the verge of homelessness, due to my wage I am not entitled to any form of government help and so private renting was our only option. We didn't have any savings and so I withdrew cash of my card to pay for the bond and months rent up front.
  • Debt - £2,405.97 - this is debt brought forward - it was accumulated by me and my ex, unfortunately when we split he refused to pay his share. I have no idea what it's for but I am lumbered with it.
  • Gifts - £1,365.71 - this is horrifying, how can I justify spending this kind of money on other people? I paid £637.50 for a piece of sporting memorabilia (stupid, stupid, stupid woman!) for my ex's 30th birthday - we split before his birthday and consequently this is gathering dust in my attic. £538.16 is on various gifts for my current boyfriend for valentines day/Christmas. £148 was for a bracelet for my sister's 21st bithday
  • Fees & Interest - £450.64 - money down the drain.
  • Home - £689.12 - we  needed a lot of things when we moved into our flat, the most expensive item was my bed but we also needed crockery, iron & ironing board, pots and pans, curtains, towels etc etc.
  • Groceries & Petrol - £600.81 - absolutely should not have been paid for by Credit Card, must be covered by monthly budget.
  • Ipad - £223.00 - I can't justify this, it was a reckless and unnecessary purchase, the only saving grace being that I will get a considerable amount of use out of it when I resume studying in September
  • Insurance - £384.27 - My car insurance for the year, it made sense to me at the time - no monthly DD, however, I know that this should've been budgeted for and paid out of savings.
 
I feel completely and utterly ashamed by this breakdown, I have been an absolute idiot where spending is concerned. This will stop here.

2 comments:

  1. Think about how much interest that you pay, and how much money that is. And how much you would have fun spending the interest, rather than paying it.

    The credit card debt has to go. It's high interest and a huge amount of money.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are quite right, the interest is shocking. The card must go.

    ReplyDelete